Laurel Nakadate
Lecture: Wednesday March 23 2011, Singleton Center for the Performing Arts - Sonia Vlahcevic Concert Hall
Artist Website: http://www.nakadate.net/
Question 1: Your work seems to deal with discomfort and emotions of the fleeting moment, do you want to make your viewer view this way and if so what do you want them to ultimately take away from the experience of viewing your videos?
Answer: She doesn’t want her viewer to experience any specific thing. She is open to all experiences and is honored for people to view her work.
Question 2: When observing relationships through chance encounters do you find yourself trying to constantly control the situation or do you sit back and go with where the moment takes you?
Answer: Unanswered
Question 3: How does popular culture affect your work? For example your use of Britney Spears hit song as an element in your video.
Answer: Unanswered
Quotes:
“We as artists need to try things and sometimes they don’t work out.” - Laurel Nakadate
“…flaws and failures should be something you’re not afraid of.” - Laurel Nakadate
“There’s something great about giving into desperate futility.” - Laurel Nakadate
I believe she is talking about the power of examining yourself and what you are interested in rather than trying to fit in and make work you aren’t truly vested in.
“The object becomes something tangible you can hold (talking about her photographs with inked fingerprints.)” - Laurel Nakadate
“Looking back it was the thrill of investigating something I didn’t understand.” - Laurel Nakadate
Three Words: Adventurous, Fear-driven, Present
Most Interesting:
At the end of the lecture given by Laurel I noticed she had a large number of the audience asking questions about her work. I felt the questions weren’t due to a poor explanation of her work but rather due to the interest she created with her honesty and unfamiliar what I believe to be a fear-driven process (following and examining fear rather than running from it.) Laurel’s process of making her work is somewhat unique however I was most inspired by her confidence and honesty about herself and what she has done. I also appreciated her saying that all of her works are collaborations. I feel that she really has a grasp of how interconnected the world is and it shows in her works with strangers. Laurel has really inspired me to use a fear based compass when it comes to navigating decisions about life, with fear pointing to true north.
Most Compelling Image:
Laurel’s images from “365 Days: A Catalogue of Tears” are her most interesting works. To me she is really addressing cultural changes and examining social interactions between individuals. She is also exploring the masks that we wear throughout the day and how we all almost possess multiple personalities through pretending to be something other than how we actually feel.
Further Questions:
I am curious as to what stories she feels as a society we are not supposed to tell and how much influence popular culture and or technology affects or roles in society.







Post a Comment