• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Fear

Summary:


Fear is a distressing emotion induced by a perceived threat. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger. In short, fear is the ability to recognize danger and flee from it or confront it, also known as the Fight or Flight response.
“Fear.” Wikipedia. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear>


Interest:


After listening to Laurel Nakadate I left feeling very impressed about how she faced fears and used them to her advantage. She seemed to let fear drive her work but not in the typical manner. When she encountered fear she would follow it rather than step away. I decided I have heard and read about fear and the negative consequences enough to reexamine it and how it applies to me and my practice. I worked on putting together a list of things I fear and more specifically the things I fear about making art. I want to work on many of those fears as Tim Ferriss and Laurel Nakadate does. I have made the commitment to ask myself every time I feel a fear about something why I have that fear and how can I explore that fear deeper. Using fear and a compass, I plan to overcome some fears and try new things in life and art.
 
 

Quotes:

“Uncertainty.The more uncertain we are, the more we protect ourselves with precaution and fear.”

Ropeik, David. “The consequences of fear.” Embo reports. 2004. Mar 2011 <http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v5/n1s/full/7400228.html>.


“In every organization, individual members have the potential to speak up about important issues, but a growing body of research suggests that they often remain silent instead, out of fear of negative personal and professional consequences.”

Kish-Gephart, Jennifer J. “Science by fear: The nature, sources, and consequences of fear at work.” Science Direct. July 2007. Mar 2011


 “To require perfection is to invite paralysis. The pattern is predictable: as you see error in what you have done, you steer your work toward what you imagine you can do perfectly. You cling ever more tightly to what you already know you can do – away from risk and exploration, and possibly further from the work of your heart. You find reasons to procrastinate, since to not work is to not make mistakes.”

Bayles, David. Orland, Ted. Art & Fear, Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking. Image Continuum Press, 2001.


“Look at your work and it tells you how it is when you hold back or when you embrace. When you are lazy, your art is lazy; when you hold back, it holds back; when you hesitate, it stands there staring, hands in its pockets. But when you commit, it comes on like blazes.”

Bayles, David. Orland, Ted. Art & Fear, Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking. Image Continuum Press, 2001.


Further Reading:



Image/Video:

“Fear is your friend.”


0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment