• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Alexandre Singh




Lecture: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:00 – 1:00pm at Student Commons, Richmond Salons 1&2.


Question 1: 
In your work “Assembly Instructions” I feel that you are trying to show the viewer that everything is in a constant state of change even our memories and things we believe to be absolute truths. I also feel that you are trying to convey that even though things are constantly changing there is a steady path we typically follow.  Do you feel that the viewer needs to let go of logic and to have an open mind to enter your work and be able to make the connections within it or do you prefer that your audience is in disbelief of your dreams and interwoven reality from the beginning of your performance so that you can manipulate their visual thoughts and create a sense of magic?

Unanswered


Question 2:
Your performance work is presented in a particular order. When those bodies of work are shown in galleries and hung on the walls with lines its layout suggests a particular order. How does your work address viewers who want to skip around and view the pieces out of your intended order?

Answer:
“Hopefully the viewer would get ideas. The presentation is no more or less important than the gallery. All of my work leads together.” –Alexandre Singh


Most Interesting:
I think the most interesting thing during the performance was his Freudian like ways of exploring the mind. His non-linear and dissociative exploration of thoughts are great ways of looking at dreams and everyday experiences and objects in life. I feel that his performance is best suited to other artists and psychologists who explore the mind and the processes of thought. His way of linking thoughts, or hyperlinking reminded me of the internet and how the internet is much like a dream as we sift through the hundreds of links on various pages.

I also found his use of two projectors interesting. I was curious during the performance if he was referencing our left and right brain fighting for dominance or if he was just trying to overwhelm us and create a flow of information so we can make our own links between the images. I also believe he was making a reference to Freud again with the two projectors as if it was our id and ego at work while his voice was our superego.


Three Words:
Narrative, Exploration, Association


Most Compelling Image:
I found the group exhibition “The Hello Meth Lab in the Sun” installation most compelling work to me. The massive work is impressive but I think it embodies what a theme park does to its visitors. Viewers of the work are truly immersed in the 4,000 sq. feet installation in Miami. The transition that the viewers can make between the “meth lab” and the gallery I believe is the most significant part of the work. It creates a dream like narrative that Singh typically works with. This immersion of the viewer into the artist’s mind is one of the most effective ways of creating a unforgettable and impressionable experience upon the viewer.










Further Questions:
Singh mentioned he wants to make feature length films as a goal of his. I am curious if he will reach that goal and if so what types of film’s he wants to produce and what type of impact does he want to have on these theoretical viewers.

0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment