• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Sunday, April 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Posted by David Thompson 0 Comments


Tim Walker

Relevancy:

When I look at Tim Walkers work I am immediately able to enter into his fantasy world he has created with his images. His set design really makes his images along with his use of color. I usually do not care for pastels very much but his sets of images allow for me to not be distracted by the pastels. Another aspect of his work that I admire is his use of scale and perspective that can change the mood or feeling.
In a lot of his work I notice he brings outdoors in and indoors out to create unusual and unexpected situations that are still familiar with the viewer. The part of Tim’s work that I feel I can benefit the most from is his presentation in a gallery setting. He creates a surreal experience for the viewer in playing with the scale of his objects he uses in the photographs and puts them into the museum as sculpture. Once the viewer can stand next to the object that’s in the photograph and see a life size photograph I would imagine it would have a real impact on your senses. Another thing I like about his gallery presentation is how he sometimes shows his inspiration boards and books for his set design.


About:

“Tim Walker’s photographs have entranced the readers of Vogue, month by month, for over a decade. Extravagant staging and romantic motifs characterize his unmistakable style. After concentrating on the photographic still for 15 years Tim Walker is now making film.
On graduation in 1994 Walker worked as a freelance photography assistant in London before moving to New York City as a full time assistant to Richard Avedon. On returning to England he initially concentrated on portrait and documentary work for UK newspapers. At the age of 25 he shot his first fashion story for Vogue, and has photographed for the British, Italian, and American editions ever since.
The Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Portrait Gallery in London include the photographs of Tim Walker in their permanent collections. He staged his first major exhibition at the Design Museum in London in the spring of 2008, coinciding with the publication of his book ‘Pictures’.
In November 2008 Walker received the ‘Isabella Blow award for Fashion Creator’ by The British Fashion Council and, in May 2009, he received an Infinity Award from the International Center of Photography in New York for his work as a fashion photographer.
The Lost Explorer is Walker’s first short film.
Tim lives in London.”

“Biography” Tim Walker. April 2011. <http://www.timwalkerphotography.com/>


Interviews / Quotes:

“Only photograph what you love and always be true to that. I mean I think when I’m working commercially that blurs quite in a big way but that’s fine because that’s how I earn my living but when I’m working naturally and honestly, editorially for vogue I only photograph what I love. I would only take on a commission, I would only do something I feel absolutely in love with whether it’s the person or the subject matter or the idea. And that’s always been the way for me. Just follow that…”

“I’m very concerned with what’s in front of me. I thought actually I would have been a stylist. I think to this day it’s the set design of my work that interests me the most.”

“In Fashion, Tim Walker” ShowStudio.com April 2011. <http://showstudio.com/project/infashion/films/36330>


Images:














Artist Interview:


Artist Website:


Artist Representation:

0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment